Getting custom garage doors is a great decision. Such a possibility gives you the freedom of choosing the exact garage door design, style, size, and material you want. Simply put, the garage door of your dreams! And although you most likely day-dream a fancy door with great hardware and an even more splendid home exterior, when it comes to selecting materials or styles, you may freeze. That’s absolutely normal.
Fret not. If choosing garage doors seems like a mountain to climb to you and all the info you get seems to have created a tight skein looking to unravel, relax. We are going to help you get started with getting the ideal custom garage doors for you.
Start with the garage door type
Whether you order an up-and-over, sectional, or rollup garage door has primarily to do with the space at your home. The type of the garage door indicates how it moves, how it opens. And so, you need to make sure the garage is measured accurately. Also, you need to consider the structure of your home and if you have enough space outdoors.
Focus on one thing: the garage door must open and close without finding any obstructions and so, all the above must be considered.
Decide on the garage door material
There are plenty of garage door materials on the market. You can easily go for wood garage doors if you like elegance and a traditional style. But wooden doors would not be such a good idea if the humidity in your location is rather increased. And so, put the aesthetical part aside for a moment and think practically. You don’t want to end up maintaining the garage door every now and then due to the wrong choice of the material.
If you like wood but don’t like its disadvantages, get composite garage doors. If you love glass doors but fear for your privacy, get a door with milky glass panels. Now, if you are looking for something original, something fresh, you can order a door made of distressed wood. That’s classy and modern in one combined.
Choose the ideal garage door design & color
When it comes to garage door designs, there’s plenty to consider.
• You need to decide if you want a traditional, classic or modern garage door. The material will partially play a role in that but you need to remember that even a classic wood overhead garage door can have a modern appearance if the panels are flush and the color bright.
• Then, it has to do with the garage door windows. You can include windows or not. And if you do, you need to decide their size and configuration. There are innumerable choices and both modern & traditional design ideas. Most windows feature at the top panel for security purposes. If you want them to run all the way down, make sure they are made of obscure glass.
• Other factors that affect the design of the overhead door? Whether it’s arched or not. Arched garage doors are more classic. If you want a minimal design, prefer simple lines.
• The hardware you choose will also define the appearance of the door. Keep hardware to the minimum unless you dream of a classic carriage house garage door.
• Focus on the color. Not all materials can be painted all colors. Prefer neutrals that won’t bore you in a couple of years. Make sure the color of the garage door matches the hues of your home and suits your style. If you want a contemporary garage door, avoid browns. If you want a wood door, it’s nice to have it stained. It will bring out the beauty of the wood.
Insulated or not?
Energy efficient garage doors are more expensive than the non-insulated doors, but they are worth every penny if you consider that can save you energy, winter and summer. If you want them to provide high energy efficiency, get a high R-value. If you can choose among polystyrene and polyurethane, choose the latter. It insulates much better.
Focus on the garage door opener
Since you most likely opt for getting an automatic garage door, focus on the opener. It must comply with the standards – no negotiations here. This means that it must have the required by law safety features. But make sure it also has security features and a motor powerful enough for the garage door.
Getting a garage door customized to your needs means focusing on both its appearance and its quality, without leaving out important matters (like the opener or insulation) that will make your days much easier. Best of luck.